Do you know a family or a child in our area who would love a Haunted Bookshop Surprise Me! bag this holiday season? Drop us an email at email@example.com or call 319-337-2996 between noon and six, Monday-Saturday.
To prepare a bag, what we need to know is this:
- How old is each reader?
- Are they more avid or more reluctant? (Reading level helps, but so does knowing if the child will be willing to try a more difficult or longer book.)
- If you know what they have read, what are some titles or themes they've enjoyed?
- Other favorites to know? Animals, movies, foods, places, times of year, colors, school subjects?
- Is there anything we should avoid - sensitive topics, a recent loss, etc.?
- If you'd like us to include a game, how many people (and if known, what ages / what languages) might be around to play the game with the recipient? If another toy, are there any guidelines that would help us choose well (e.g., if the child has cat allergies we'll pick a wooden toy or a game instead of a plushie - we're tidy, but there are three cats here! Phobias, cultures of origin, etc. are also useful to know.)
- What would be the best way to get the bag to the recipient? (In the past, we've allowed our favorite bookmobile or school teachers/librarians to take the bag to a child or family, because we understand that need can be a sensitive issue. We also deliver in the IC/Coralville area or can be at the shop for a curbside pick-up.)
We will prioritize children but, if the fund allows, we'd be happy to make up bags for adults facing difficulties, too.
(If you'd like to contribute to the fund, the easiest ways to do so are Venmo @BookshopGhost or this link: https://www.thehauntedbookshop.com/payment.php
We will never use this contact information for marketing purposes (ick) and never reveal the size of contribution or name of contributor unless specifically allowed to do so. We might drop you a message to tell you about some things we picked out with your gift, though we won't connect you with the recipient. Please specify that you're contributing to the Surprise Me! 2021 Gift Fund
in the notes box.)
(We also gladly accept donations of well-kept books toward this project and would be especially grateful for books that represent diverse voices and experiences.)
Please share this with your teachers or school librarians, social workers, non-profit orgs, and others who work with or represent those for whom this gift is intended.